He played a vital role as Catechetical trainer in developing an oriental and ecclesial perspective among the faith formators by conducting camps and seminars and giving lectures in most of the dioceses of kerala. Through his catechetical lectures and articles, he promoted liturgical and mystagogical catechesis in the Syro Malabar catholic church.
Besides the EFP approach and method he introduced a new scheme and methodology for the intensive catechesis in summer holidays for children, based on the child centered activity oriented and play way methods, keeping the integrity of the content and theology of the oriental and Syro Malabar catechesis, known as " Viswasolsavam". Now this methodology is followed by most of the dioceses of Kerala for the intensive catechesis during summer holidays.
Education: After his graduation from the University of Kerala, he earned a Diploma in philosophy and Batchelor of Theology (BTh) from Dharmaram Pontifical Institute Bangalore, and Master of Theology (MTh) from Pontifical Oriental Institute Kottayam. He also had a special course on Indian and inter-religious studies and attained special training in Audio visual Catechesis. He holds a certificate from the Kearla Govt. Technical Exam board in drawing and painting and a Diploma in Cartooning from SCV, Chennai.
Teaching: Besides conducting Seminars and classes for the faith formators of different dioceses, at present he serves as visiting lecturer in theology and catechetics at 1) Amala Theological College for Religious, Changanacherry 2) Paurastya Vidyanikethan, MOC Kottayam 3) Marthoma Vidyanikethan, the Higher Institute of Religious Sciences, Changanacherry and was the first Registrar (1990 - 95) of this institute.
Membership 1. Member of the Syro - Malabar Central Committee for Catechesis under the Synodal Commission for catechesis and creatively contributed as the member of the expert committee for drafting the "Call and Response " the catechetical directory of the Syro Malabar church. 2. Member of the Archdiocesan Catechetical Commission 3. Member of the Archdiocesan Bible Commission 4. Member of the editorial board of the international theological journal "URHA" - the way. 5. Was member of the Archdiocesan pastoral council from 1972 - 2008 6. Was member of the Oriental Study forum from 1985 - 2002 7. Participated in the 6th,7th and 8th All India Catechetical Meetings held at NBCLC Bangalore in 1981,85 and 90 8 Participated in the first Major Archiepiscopal Assembly at Mt.St.Thomas, Kakkanad Kochi.
Literary Output Articles: - Published his first article in 1972 on parish Sunday school organization in the Malayalam weekly publication "Sathya Deepam". Since then his articles on theology and catechetics were regularly published in the theologico - Catechetical monthly "Kathiroly" and later he joined the editorial board as associate editor and in 1996 he was appointed its first lay chief editor. His articles were also published in "Talent" a catechetical monthly published by Pastoral Orientation Centre, "Matha darshanam" (Palai) "Mary Vijayam" (Trichur), Harald of Goodnews (Pampadi) Kudumba Jyothis (Family Magazine) Satya Darsanamala, and Urha - the way an international theological journel from Higher Institute of religious sciences at changanacherry. Besides this he contributed articles to several edited books.
He also presented papers - in the Oriental Study forum, - in the All Kerala Symposium on "The law of Thomas" conducted by the Higher Institute of Religious Sciences.(Feb.1994) - In the all Kerala Maha Jubilee Symposium on Catechetics conducted by Sandesanilayam (2000) - In the Placid Memorial Symposium conducted by Mathoma Vidya Niketan, Changanacherry
- Prepared catechetical text books, work books and hand books for the use of students and teachers,
There are more than fifty of them to his credit .
- Besides he prepared a lot of visual materials suitable for Sunday School Catechesis, and launched a training programme for faith formators in view of promoting the use of audio - visual media in catechesis known as "Operation Media Kit".
- At present he is engaged in preparing teacher's guides and Audio Visual materials suitable for the Syro Malabar Synodal Catechism series for the training programme "Word and Media" launched by Sandesanilayam Catechetical Center.
Mr Jose Philip left for his heavenly abode on 07 December 2017, and was buried at the cemetery St. Antony's Forane Church, Kurumpanadam, Changanacherry.
1. Rakshayude Maharahasyam (Catechesis on Holy Eucharist)
2. Vachanam Madhuram (Bible Study)
3. Viswasa Pariseelanam Paurasthya Sabhakalil (Catechesis in the Oriental Churches)
4. ViswasaPariseelanavum BodhanaReethikalum (Catechesis and Methods)
5. Bodhanavidyaum Padasuthranavum (Catechetical Pedagogy)
6. Madhyamangalum Mathabodhanavum (Editor) (Media & Catechesis)
7. Japamala (Rosary - Mysteries based on the liturgical seasons of the Syro Malabar Church)
Recognitions and Awards
1. Archdiocesan Excellence Award (2002)
2 Mar Joseph Kundakulam Award Instituted by Mary Vijayam, Trichur (2005)
3 MarThoma Puraskaaram, Changanacherry (2011)